Sunday, May 25, 2008

Uncle Jay

Uncle Jay was a huge man in my life. He stood larger than life. He was my mothers twin and he disliked any child that made noise. I tried to upload his picture and well - my computer is as stubborn as he was! Uncle Jay passed away on Feb 10, 2007 in Colorado. His life story to me represented all that was good in a Military Man. I reread his obituary and found it to be all that and then some. So on this Memorial Day Weekend I though I would honor my hero, Uncle Jay.



Uncle Jay graduated from the University of Utah receiving his degree in Pharmacology, then served in the U.S. Army for two years and then return to the U of U where he graduated from the School of Medicine in 1959. He was always a hard worker. Uncle Jay made the U.S. Army his career choice and following a one year internship at Ft. Benning, Georgia, Dr. Hill completed a three year specialty training residency in Obstetrics and Gynecology at the Tripler Army Medical Center in Honolulu, Hawaii. From 1963-68, Jay was stationed at the U. S. Army Hospital at Fort Carson, Colorado. In 1968 he was sent to South Vietnam where he served as a Medical Battalion Commander in the Central Highlands. Upon his return, he was assigned to the teaching staff of the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology at Fitzsimons Army Medical Center in Denver, Colorado. He retired from there in 1985 as the Chief of OB/BYN, culminating a 33 year military and medical career.

But as an Uncle - he was so scary! He had the deepest voice and the most piercing eyes. I cannot believe he had 2 sweet daughters! He would always say, 'Children are to be seen and not heard'. So naturally we all saluted him! I remember one time staying with my cousins at their home and there was a square box on the table next to the front door. I kept pushing it and nothing was happening. Until Uncle Jay came in from the garage with fire in his eyes and said, "Who in the hell is putting the garage door open and shut!?" My cousin Tamara just yelled, "RUN!!!" I almost ran back to Utah! But all in all - I knew that he was a great man, a wonderful husband to my sweet Aunt Dolores, an amazing dad to Shelley and Tamara, and loved the pride and joy of his life Cody - his grandson.


I know that there could never be a stronger love for a brother than the love my mom has for her brother. She lost her soul when he passed on before her. They always promised to be together. She still feels him close when she is frightened - she knows his spirit is near. I remember that Uncle Jay always loved the great outdoors. He rode his Harley Davidson everywhere, he love to boat and fish and always had a camper trip planned. He would kill you if you called during a Denver Nuggets game, and do even worse during a Denver Football game! He loved & cared for my Aunt D who, in turn, loved and supported him in every way. With the passing of Uncle Jay, that leaves my mom the only remaining member of that family alive today of the 6 children of Ray and Elizabeth Hill. She is a national treasure to us! We always tell her to stay away from 'the light', it's just your brothers and sisters trying to lure you home!



Uncle Jay was buried with full military honors at Ft Logan National Cemetery. He was buried in his uniform, with his Col. hat held close to his heart. Someday - I promise to post that picture of his hat - and how handsome he was. But for today - I just want him to know how much I loved him - and honor him. I know that on this day - there is a beautiful flag in front of his headstone - and so once again - I salute you Uncle Jay....



Oh, and below is a Memorial Day Update!!!







Today, I (Eric) had the opportunity to go around to the different cemeteries with Junie... We started at Wellsville and placed flowers on Grampa Ray's and Gramma Elizabeth's graves... And in honor of Col. Jay M. Hill, M.D., who is buried in Fort Logan National Cemetery in Denver, Colorado, we placed and pot of flowers in the center of the headstone (and "borrowed" for a moment a flag from some Bankhead guy) to pay tribute to Uncle Jay from a distance.







And to top it off... we took a picture of the same setting and included the remaining (not the remains of) sibling (June) with her kindred dead... Aunt LeDean and Uncle Bill Campbell's headstone is partially cut off with yellow flowers (sorry, poor photography) and the dark headstone at the top right corner is Uncle Ray and Aunt Ellen Hill's headstone. She looks good in Uncle Jay's sweats wouldn't you agree???


It was a fun day for both of us... especially mom...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you both for honoring Dad. It was with tears that I read it, remembering the past. I wish that my Mom could read it too but she doesn't have a computer. She's been having some trouble with her eyes as well.

Hugs to you both, and to Auntie June :)

Lots of love,
Shell

Anonymous said...

I printed out the entry for Mom to read it.

Shell